8 Electrical Warning Signs in Your Home – Sparkys Now

8 Electrical Warning Signs in Your Home – Sparkys Now

Electrical safety is such an important thing to consider in any household. Not only can a small fault cause a great deal of inconvenience, but at worst it can lead to extensive damage to your property and become a serious danger to you and your family. So it helps to know about electrical warning signs and how to spot them.

We’re strong believers that every household should be on top of their electrical safety. This shouldn’t be something that is only considered when an electrical issue arises, but it should be a measure to prevent any problems from occurring in the future. However, if your household does not regularly get their electrical systems checked, here are signs of electrical dangers to be mindful of. Find out more below…

Lights

Have you noticed your lights flickering more than just occasionally? This may be an indication that there are some loose connections in your system or you have voltage fluctuation. If your light bulbs tend to suddenly become too bright or too dim or you notice them burning out too quickly, this may be another indicator of voltage fluctuation.

electrical warning signs too bright lights

Smoke

While the smell of smoke is usually a warning sign that there’s something wrong, an electrical fault might be at play if the smoke also smells a bit acrid. ‘Off-smelling’ smoke is a tell-tale sign that there can be some sort of electrical fault, which may be the beginning of an electrical fire within the walls of your home. If you have any signs of a short circuit occurring, you should remove the fuse or turn off your circuit breaker until an electrician has this checked for you.

Noise

Noise such as clicking or buzzing whenever you turn on a switch should be an indicator that there may be faulty wiring or loose connections within or close to the electrical outlet.

Rodents

If you ever hear scurrying or movement in your walls and ceilings, you should be wary of rats or mice chewing through your wiring. Not only will this cause problems in your electrical system, but it can be the cause of a potential electrical fire.

Circuit Overload

Circuit breakers are designed to shut off when the system becomes overheated. However, if you find that your circuit is prone to shutting off constantly, there might be a chance that your circuit is overloaded or there can be a ground fault or short circuit.

Switch Plates

If your outlets or switch plates have a tendency to overheat even when they’re not in use, these are likely caused by improper wiring. You might need to flip the circuit breaker or remove the fuse of this outlet until you can get professional help.

Sparkys Now electricians work switch board panel

Sparks

Sparks from an outlet should be considered a potential lead-in to an electrical fire. Sparking means that you’ve got a short circuit. If it’s the appliance itself that is sparking, then this is likely a faulty product that needs repair. However, if sparks are coming immediately out of your electrical outlets – this is an electrical issue. Ensure that you unplug it immediately and seek a professional electrician.

Don’t underestimate the importance of noticing these electrical warning signs. While not all of these electrical issues necessarily pose immediate threats such as house fires, if such issues aren’t addressed in the long term, it may cause more damage and become increasingly dangerous. If you’re experiencing any of these electrical issues, ensure you get the necessary help and contact Sparkys NOW. Call us at 1300 856 242 today to get your electrical faults fixed.

 

Leave a Comment