How To Know If Your Electric Hot Water System Needs To Be Repaired Or Replaced
If you’re like most people, you rely on hot water to make your everyday life a little easier. Having hot water readily available is something we often take for granted – until it isn’t there anymore!
Not sure if you should repair your electric hot water system or replace it? It’s hard to know when you should replace an electric hot water system rather than having it repaired.
Sometimes, the signs are clear – but other times not. This is why it pays to have an expert electrician come out to inspect the unit.
Sparkys Now can help you decide whether you need a repair or a replacement for your electric hot water system. Our goal is always to provide our customers with the best long-term solution, which is why we will always try to extend the longevity of your unit by carrying out any repairs in a timely manner or replacing parts when necessary, however sometimes a full unit replacement may be the best option.
Servicing the Mornington Peninsula and Melbourne’s South East suburbs, Sparkys Now offers 24-hour emergency electric hot water system repairs on all major brands, including Rinnai, Rheem, AquaMax, and Stiebel.
Common Signs Your Hot Water System May Be Faulty
If your water is not hot but only lukewarm, then it could be one of several things:
- The thermostat on your water heater may be broken and needs replacing.
- The water flow may be blocked by a build-up of sediment.
- There could be a problem with the wiring leading to the water heater.
If you’re not comfortable trying to troubleshoot or fix the problem yourself, call Sparkys Now to look at it for you.
The Hot Water Runs Out
There are a few potential reasons why your hot water might be running out faster than it used to:
- It could be that the heating element is faulty in your water heater.
- Someone else in your household could be using up all the hot water.
- The thermostat is not set to the right temperature.
It is easy to check if your water heater thermostat is set to the right temperature. If you’re not sure how to do this on your unit, give us a call and we can assist.
Rusty Or Discoloured Hot Water!
Have you noticed rust or an odd colour in your hot water? Potential causes include:
- Your water heater is rusting on the inside. This typically happens with older models that are starting to wear down. If this is the case, you’ll want to replace your water heater as soon as possible.
- Corrosion in your plumbing pipes. This can happen if your pipes are made of metal and exposed to moisture and oxygen over time.
- There may be rust-coloured sediment in your main water supply. Sediment can build up over time and eventually find its way into your home’s plumbing system. If this is the cause of the rust, you may need to have your pipes replaced.
The Water Heater Leaks
Is your water heating leaking? Some potential problems that could cause your water heater to leak include:
- The tank itself is damaged and needs to be replaced.
- There’s a problem with the valves or seals, which might also require replacement.
If you’re unsure of what’s causing the leak, it’s best to call in a professional to take a look and find out for sure.
Strange Noises Coming from The Hot Water System
Are you hearing a strange noise from your water heater?
There could be several problems causing the strange sounds from your hot water system, so you must get it checked out by a professional.
Common issues that cause strange noises include:
- Sediment build-up in the pipes
- Unsecured fittings
If you hear a loud banging noise, it might be due to air pockets getting trapped in the lines; this can often be fixed by bleeding the system.
Whatever the problem may be, it’s best to have it checked out sooner rather than later to avoid potential damage or further inconvenience.
What To Do If Your Water Heater Breaks Down
• First, turn off the water supply to the water heater.
• Then disconnect the power supply.
If your water heater breaks down, the best thing to do is call Sparkys Now. We will be able to assess the damage and provide you with a solution.
Sometimes a water heater can simply stop working, but other times there may be something wrong with the tank or heating element. In any case, it’s important not to try to fix the problem yourself – you could end up making it worse.
The Benefits of Making the Switch From a Gas to an Electric Hot Water System
Heating water consumes about 21-25% of the energy used in a home. So, it’s vital to choose the most efficient hot water system for your needs. Sparkys Now can help ensure you get the best system for your needs.
There are two main types of electric hot water systems: storage and instant.
Storage systems have a tank of hot water kept at a constant temperature. Instant hot water systems heat water on demand.
Each system has its advantages, so choose whichever best suits your needs. The needs of a single person living alone will be different from those of a family home.
Advantages of storage systems:
- Hot water is always available since it is stored at a constant temperature.
- If there is a power outage, the water in the tank will still be hot.
- It is more expensive than an instant system since it maintains the water hot even if not needed.
Advantages of instant hot water systems:
- You will never run out of hot water since it is heated on demand.
- It is more energy-efficient since it only heats the water that you need.
- It takes up less space since there is no storage tank.
We realize how inconvenient and distressing it is to be without hot water. So we provide 24-hour hot water system repairs that ensure you’re never stranded without access to hot water.
We’ll inspect your hot water system to see what’s wrong with it and whether it can be fixed or needs to be replaced. Once we’ve determined the extent of the problem, we’ll give you an easy-to-understand quote with complete transparency!
Our Master Electricians deliver dependable, high-quality workmanship and exceptional client service, ensuring that your hot water problem is resolved quickly.
So if you experience problems with your hot water heater, give us a call, and we’ll get it fixed for you in no time.